cervicogenic headache, chiropractic, chiropractor, head pain, headache, kansas city, lenexa, migraine, overland park, tension headache
Drug-Free, Conservative Headache Treatment Options
Conservative Headache Treatment In Overland Park and Lenexa
Headaches are a common condition that people all over the world experience. They can be caused by a variety of different triggers and the pain can present very differently. Many current treatment approaches include the use of drugs, injections, and symptom management which can be beneficial short term to reduce pain but might not resolve the entire condition or underlying cause. These treatments can be invasive and have potential for side effects as well. Our chiropractors in Overland Park and Lenexa are headache experts and can provide accurate diagnosis to the underlying cause of the headache condition. Once a diagnosis is made, if the patient is a candidate for conservative, drug-free therapy we will begin promptly to resolve the condition as quick as possible.
Read This First - Headache Red Flags
Headaches are a common condition as we discussed earlier. It is important to know "Red Flags" regarding head pain so you can avoid potentially life threatening or altering damage.
If you do not experience headaches normally and have excruciating head pain - whether random or as the result of trauma it is vital to visit an Urgent Care specialist to rule out more concerning problems.
Red flags can include:
- Facial Numbness
- Slurred Speech & Confusion
- Difficulty Walking or Standing
- Acute Head Trauma or Impact
- Weakness in Extremities or Face
If you are experiencing these symptoms in combination with headache pain, please call emergency services immediately.
What Are The Different Types Of Headaches?
- Tension - Typically present as achy or dull, may present with increased stress. Typically diffuse or "all over" the head.
- Cervicogenic - Primarily stem from the top of the neck or base of the skull and band up and over the head or near the temples.
- Cluster - Severe burning and piercing pain. Feels like "hot knife" through an eyeball or around the eye on one side typically.
- Migraine - May or may not produce aura. Possible nausea, light sensitivity, loss of balance.
- Sinus - Typically located above or below the eyes or near the nose. History of sinus problems, allergies, or sinusitis common.
- Hormone - Mainly in females during menstrual cycle, use of birth control pills, or during pregnancy.
- Caffeine - Typically due to withdrawal of regular caffeine use but can be associated with too much caffeine intake.
- Rebound - Due to overuse of over-the-counter pain relievers. Commonly seen during self-treatment of other types of headaches or pain.
Headaches can be generated from other things as well, including TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) following an acute impact like a car accident. Blood pressure, physical activity, brain conditions and vascular conditions also need to be ruled out prior to treatment.
It is important to be evaluated by a headache chiropractor that is experienced with the different types of headaches in order to have improvement with symptoms. Call our Overland Park or Lenexa chiropractic clinics today to schedule your examination.
What Conservative Treatment is Available?
Our Overland Park and Lenexa chiropractic clinics both specialize in headache pain relief and resolution depending on the type of headache. Depending on the types of headache presenting with our chiropractic patients, we can utilize different approaches. Headache diaries can be used to distinguish certain triggers with migraines and other headaches. Lifestyle modification can be provided along with nutritional advice. Chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture, along with myofascial release and other forms of treatment listed under our "Treatments" tab can assist in acute instant headache relief along with reducing frequency and duration of future headaches.
As with any condition and potential treatment options, there are often many questions. We encourage you to contact our office and discuss any questions or concerns you may have over possible treatment for your condition.
Contact either of our Overland Park and Lenexa chiropractic clinics today and we can answer any questions you have regarding your headache condition.